Black American West Museum & Heritage Center

The Black American West Museum in and of itself is not a single historical place, but a collection of artifacts, photographs and stories of Black Americans who helped settle the west. The museum is housed in the former home of Dr. Justina Ford, Colorado’s first Black woman doctor. The museum is located in Denver’s Five Points neighborhood. Five Points is unique among Denver’s neighborhoods because of the rich contributions of its diverse community, particularly African Americans (Five Points-Whittier Neighborhood History).

Read More

Capitol Hill Mansion Bed & Breakfast Inn

This elegant Richardsonian Romanesque and Queen Anne residence was originally built in 1891 for Jeffrey and Mary Keating. He was a real estate developer and a founder of the McPhee and McGinnity Lumber Company, and she was active in social affairs and charity events. The lot on which the Keating House was constructed was plotted in the late 1860s as part of Porter’s Addition, in the fashionable Capitol Hill neighborhood. During Denver’s silver boom, many of the city’s prominent citizens built grand mansions here. The Keating House was one of the last homes constructed in the neighborhood before the Silver Crash of 1893.

Read More

Central Presbyterian Church

Central Presbyterian Church, a Richardsonian Romanesque structure designed by Frank E. Edbrooke in 1892, is the third home for this congregation dating back to 1860.

Read More

Ellie Caulkins Opera House

The Neoclassical Denver Municipal Auditorium was constructed in response to Mayor Robert Speer and other Denver boosters’ desire for a large auditorium, as early as 1899, when voters approved a $400,000 bond for its construction. It took another bond issue in 1904 and much argument over location before the cornerstone was laid in 1907. The official opening was July 5, 1908. The auditorium was located in the historic downtown neighborhood, among other prominent government, public and cultural buildings (Noel and Zimmer, 2008).

Read More

Emmanuel Art Gallery

Located at what was once the corner of 10th and Lawrence Streets in the middle of the Auraria Campus, Emmanuel Shearith Israel Chapel is the oldest surviving religious building in Denver.

Read More

St. Patrick’s Oratory

This Spanish Colonial Revival style mission church, designed by the Denver architectural firm of Wagner and Manning, was begun in 1907 and completed in 1910. At the time of its construction, the Mission style was considered unusual in the city of Denver, although reflective of its Western character. It was the second church to serve St. Patrick’s parish, which was the first Roman Catholic parish established west of the South Platte River in 1881. The church served both the working class of the Platte River Valley and the upper middle-class professionals of the Highlands neighborhood (St. Patrick’s Oratory National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form).

Read More