Cleworth Architectural Legacy Project
Architecture + Design in K-8 Classrooms.
The Cleworth Architectural Legacy (CAL) Project enlivens K-8 classrooms with architecture education, inspiring learners to think critically about our built environment. With the help of architects, engineers and design professionals, teachers lead their students through CAL’s multi-week curriculum packed with hands-on activities that build 21st Century Skills: critical thinking, creativity, collaboration and communication. By blending these skills with STEAM concepts (Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts and Mathematics), CAL engages students in high-quality and fun classroom experiences.
DAF connects teachers to resources, training and support to implement CAL in their classrooms. Volunteers are one such resource, representing many of Denver’s leading architecture and engineering firms. Together, teachers and volunteers utilize architecture as a tool for students to actively engage with their classroom subjects. CAL turns toothpicks and marshmallows into reimagined park structures using geometry lessons, or poster board and pencils into illustrated plans for a community recreation center applying civics lessons.
CAL awakens young minds to the importance of our built environment.
For over 20 years, DAF has leveraged CAL’s unique learning approach to improve student experience and outcomes in Denver classrooms. CAL’s popularity with teachers, students and teachers consistently grows.
Interested in seeing CAL in action? Watch our 2017 CAL video:
During the 2021-22 school year, DAF partnered with teachers and volunteers from the following schools and firms:
- Bradley International School with Davis Partnership Architects and Hord Coplan Macht
- Asbury Elementary with Perkins+Will and Rowland & Broughton
- Polaris at Ebert Elementary with MOA Architecture
- Stedman Elementary with SAR+ and HDR
- University Park Elementary with SmithGroup
- Lowry Elementary with RATIO Architects
- Kunsmiller Creative Arts with Fentress Architects
- McKinley-Thatcher Elementary with OZ Architecture
- Polton Community Elementary with JNS Architecture + Interior Design and KL&A Engineers and Builders
- Foster Dual Language with Anderson Mason Dale Architects
Design professionals (architects, engineers, landscape architects, interior designers, graphic artists, etc.) and teachers who wish to take part in the CAL Project should contact DAF at email@example.com.
Download a free copy of “Architectural ‘Awareness’ Activities Workbook” for use in your classroom.
Receive DAF updates straight to your inbox. Click to subscribe to DAF eNews.