Weekly Architecture Fix, Vol. 3 | Modern Architecture
We’re still here for you, even while social distancing
Hi there, friends.
First, thank you for the wonderful feedback we’ve received regarding these weekly emails. We hope they continue to keep you engaged, entertained and perhaps inspired as you move through each week.
This week’s feature is Modern Architecture, which has seen renewed popularity in recent years. The resources available on the topic are many, so it was particularly challenging to limit offerings this week. Nonetheless, we hope you enjoy the selection!
Denver Architecture Foundation Resources:
- A poignant podcast about the Clyfford Still Museum. For those of us missing it and others of our treasured cultural institutions near and far, we hope you’ll take delight in the virtual offerings listed under Community Resources below.
- Download “The Shape of Architecture: Denver Public Library” including a bonus exercise for kids on the Denver Square.
- Audio Tours teaser: Explore the modernist gem that is the Denver Art Museum’s Martin Building (a.k.a. North Building) designed by famed Italian architect Gio Ponti.
- Ongoing: Take in the stunning photographs from our 2019 Y/OUR Denver Photo Exhibit, in partnership with the Colorado Photographic Arts Center. Read the accompanying Denver Post article by Ray Rinaldi – “One of Denver’s best photo exhibitions right now is totally free — and you can see it in your PJs” and share/discuss with friends and family!
Feature: Modern Architecture – Resources from the world wide web
“To be modern is not a fashion, it is a state. It is necessary to understand history, and he who understands history knows how to find continuity between that which was, that which is, and that which will be.” – Le Corbusier
The films below are free via Kanopy.com.
- Mies on Scene – Barcelona in Two Acts: A Building That Changed the History of Architecture
- Bauhaus: The Face of the 20th Century
- Eames: The Architect and The Painter
- Philip Johnson: Diary of an Eccentric Architect
- The Oyler House: Richard Neutra’s Desert Retreat
- Louis Kahn: Silence and Light
- Master Houses: 20th Century Architecture From Around the World
View the docomomo virtual exhibition© – MoMove.
- USModernist Radio with host George Smart
- Modern Architecture: A Critical History by Kenneth Frampton
- Modern Architecture by Alan Colquhoun
- Landscapes of Modern Architecture: Wright, Mies, Neutra, Aalto, Barragán by Marc Treib
For Young Readers…
- Who Built That? Modern Houses: An Introduction to Modern Houses and Their Architects by Didier Cornille
A selection of modern art museums, near and far, with virtual offerings:
- Clyfford Still Museum
- Kirkland Museum of Fine & Decorative Art
- Denver Art Museum Modern and Contemporary Collection
- The Museum of Modern Art (New York City)
- San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
- The Phillips Collection (Washington, D.C.)
- The Tate Modern (London, England)
- Centre Pompidou (Paris, France)
- The Guggenheim Bilbao (Bilbao, Spain)
Image curtesy of Hines