Airedale Building – Ophelia’s Electric Soapbox & Hostel Fish

The Koppers Airedale Building, a Queen Anne style saloon and hotel built by Albert Koppers and his wife in 1889, has been in almost continuous use since its construction.

Read More

Byers-Evans House

The Byers-Evans House, located in the heart of the Golden Triangle neighborhood, was home to two of early Denver’s most prominent families. The neighborhood is one of the city’s oldest, and its proximity to Denver’s Civic Center made it a very desirable place to live. The house was built for William Byers (1831-1903) and Elizabeth Sumner Byers (1834-1920) in 1883, and sold to William Gray Evans (1855-1924) and Cornelia Lunt Gray Evans (1863-1955) six years later. It now serves as the Byers-Evans House Museum, and the interior of the building hosts a collection of period furniture that is original to the Evans’ tenure in the house. There are only three items in the house that belonged to the Byers, which were donated by their descendants.

Read More

Montclair Civic Building

The Molkery, also spelled “Molkerie,” is German for Milk House, and was constructed circa 1888 by Baron Von Richthofen as part of his estate in the Montclair neighborhood, five miles east of Denver. It was built as a dairy barn, restaurant and hotel promoting healthy living while serving as one of the original tuberculosis facilities in Colorado until 1893. The land making up the Montclair neighborhood was purchased in 1885, and originally developed as a small suburban community east of Denver. Its co-founders were Matthias P. Cochrane, who originally came from Montclair, New Jersey, and named the new community in its honor, as well as Baron Walter von Richthofen, a German nobleman (The Montclair Neighborhood). 

Read More

Savoy at Curtis Park

The Savoy occupies the second floor of a Victorian building built in 1887 and resides in the historic Curtis Park neighborhood of Denver. The second floor was used as a private social club with a dance floor/social space, lobby and lounge. Today, it remains as one of the few surviving spaces of its kind in the city of Denver.

Read More

The Temple

Temple Emanuel, located at 24th Avenue and Curtis Street, became the first major Jewish synagogue in the Denver area when it was built in 1882, serving the Beth Emanuel Congregation. It is located in the Curtis Park neighborhood.

Read More

Trinity United Methodist Church

Designed by Robert Roeschlaub, Colorado’s first licensed architect, the Trinity Methodist Church is a splendid example of the Gothic Revival style or “Modern Gothic.” What made the building “modern” in 1888, when it was designed and built, was the marriage of Gothic detailing and a Rococo theater with the latest technology. The church is located in the heart of downtown Denver, surrounded by skyscrapers on every side, multi-story parking garages, busy streets and pay-to-park lots.

Read More