Saint John’s Cathedral

St. John’s Cathedral has deep roots in the history of Denver. It was the first Episcopal congregation, beginning in 1859 and becoming chartered in 1861 as St. John’s in the Wilderness. The early congregations worshiped in several downtown locations before they built their own church in 1880 at 20th and Welton. This structure was destroyed by fire in 1903. Tracy and Swartwout Architects were selected to design the new cathedral at the current site. A chapter house was completed on the site in 1904 and construction of the Gothic Revival cathedral itself began in 1905 and was initially completed in 1911 (History). 

Read More