Weekly Architecture Fix, Vol. 6 | Landscape Architecture
We’re still here for you, even while social distancing
Happy Spring, everyone!
Our beautiful Colorado spring weather this week sees many of us taking advantage of our outdoor spaces as much as possible. And no doubt this week’s feature on Landscape Architecture will have you appreciating them even more. We’re relishing this chance to revisit some of the greats like Olmsted and Noguchi, as well as others. Here’s to more of this glorious weather and a return to experiencing our beloved outdoor spaces on a regular basis very soon!
Denver Architecture Foundation Resources:
- A short and sweet DAF podcast about Old Cheesman Park.
- Teach your kids how to draw a plan, a section and an elevation with this activity they are sure to love: Man’s Best Friend Needs a House.
- Audio Tours teaser: Perfect timing for a good little read on Civic Center Park.
- Ongoing: Take in the stunning photographs from our 2019 Y/OUR Denver Photo Exhibit, in partnership with the Colorado Photographic Arts Center. Read the accompanying Denver Post article by Ray Rinaldi – “One of Denver’s best photo exhibitions right now is totally free — and you can see it in your PJs” and share/discuss with friends and family!
Feature: Landscape Architecture – Resources from the world wide web
“The enjoyment of scenery employs the mind without fatigue and yet exercises it; tranquilizes it and yet enlivens it.” – Frederick Law Olmsted
The films below are free via Kanopy.com.
- Frederick Law Olmsted – Designing America
- Isamu Noguchi: A Japanese American Artist and Landscape Architect
- 10 Parks that Changed America
- Figure in a Landscape: A Conversation with J.B. Jackson
- Design With Nature by Ian L. McHarg
- The Death and Life of Great American Cites by Jane Jacobs
- Landscape Design: A Cultural and Architectural History by Elizabeth Barlow Rogers
For Young Readers…
- The American Society of Landscape Architects’ Discover Landscape Architecture Activity Book for Kids
- In addition to April being World Landscape Architecture Month, it’s also National Poetry Month and National Jazz Appreciation Month. Below are selections to celebrate each:
- Watch Colorado Experience: Denver Mountain Parks by Rocky Mountain PBS.
- Learn more about Colorado’s own Poet Laureate Bobby LeFebre.
- Compliments of The Denver Post, enjoy “Quarantine jazz: What we’re listening to while Denver jazz clubs are shut down”.
Image curtesy of Civitas