Weekly Architecture Fix, Vol. 7 | Frank Lloyd Wright
We’re still here for you, even while social distancing
First, a big THANK YOU to everyone who donated to our #GivingTuesdayNow campaign. We raised over $8,000 from our community and board members past and present. We are incredibly grateful.
You’ve likely noticed Frank Lloyd Wright has been curiously missing from recent features in these weekly emails. Now you know it’s because we’ve been saving him for a feature all his own. And, let’s be honest, that’s what he’d expect. We at DAF never tire of learning more about this singular voice in architecture. We hope you enjoy the selection.
Denver Architecture Foundation Resources:
- We love this DAF podcast about North High School.
- A visual exploration for kids about how buildings stand up.
- Audio Tours teaser: A quick read on the Prairie style Rockmount Building in the LoDo Historic District.
- Ongoing: Take in the stunning photographs from our 2019 Y/OUR Denver Photo Exhibit, in partnership with the Colorado Photographic Arts Center. Read the accompanying Denver Post article by Ray Rinaldi – “One of Denver’s best photo exhibitions right now is totally free — and you can see it in your PJs” and share/discuss with friends and family!
Feature: Frank Lloyd Wright – Resources from the world wide web
“The mother art is architecture. Without an architecture of our own we have no soul of our own civilization.” – Frank Lloyd Wright
The films below are free via Kanopy.com.
- Ken Burns’ American Lives: Frank Lloyd Wright (2 films)
The films/interviews/clips below are free via Rocky Mountain PBS.
- Frank Lloyd Wright on Arrogance
- Frank Lloyd Wright (various clips featuring writers, artists, architects, etc., discussing Wright and his work)
- Frank Lloyd Wright’s Buffalo
- Wright Again: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Monona Terrace
- Building Harmonies: Frank Lloyd Wright in the Southwest
- Frank Lloyd Wright Tour – “American System-Built” home on the south side of Milwaukee
- Alistair Interview
- Inside the Dudley Spencer House
- Nebraska Stories: The Sutton House
Want to know the incredible artist behind the stunning photos of Wright’s work? Watch American Masters: Pedro E. Guerrero: A Photographer’s Journey via Amazon Prime. His life’s work also included collaborations with sculptors Alexander Calder and Louise Nevelson, yet his story is largely unknown.
- Get Outta Here!: Why Frank Lloyd Wright still fascinates, 150 years after his birth
- Moonshots: Frank Lloyd Wright
- 99% Invisible: Usonia
- Frank Lloyd Wright: A Biography by Meryle Secrest
- Frank Lloyd Wright Designs: The Sketches, Plans, and Drawings by Bruce Brooks Pfeiffer
- The Frank Lloyd Wright Companion, Revised Edition by William Allin Storrer
Also, read about and “Peek Inside 7 Iconic Frank Lloyd Wright Buildings”.
For the fiction reader, T.C. Boyle’s The Women is a guilty pleasure.
For Young Readers…
- I Heart Architecture with Frank Lloyd Wright by Mudpuppy
- In appreciation of one of our city’s legendary philanthropists, whose legacy of giving lives on to this day, read “May Bonfils and Her Lost Belmar Mansion: A Lavish Lakewood Estate Housed a Wealth of Benevolence”.
Image curtesy of Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation